Friday, March 6, 2009

A Long Post, So Buck Up for a Long Read!

Well, it's been a couple of weeks since I've posted an update. Here's what's happening

Work (GoodSeed): I'm staying busy writing articles for the web. So far I don't know where they are since I'm sending then to the "next up" before they go on the web. What exactly am I writing articles about? Well, to give you an idea, some of them I've written have been about Bible devotions for kids, evangelism training, online Bible study, children's Bible stories, Vacation Bible School, how to evangelize, sharing Jesus without fear, chronological Bible study, Muslim evangelism, free Bible study materials, etc. Basically, I've been given a list of "hot topics" that are searched for on the web, and have to come up with ideas for articles...and the articles. It takes me anywhere from all day to a couple of hours to write an article, depending on the topic and how much research I need to do. I've learned so much about the Bible, ministry, and writing.
I'm also continuing in a discipleship program with my boss. He's given me lists of questions to research and answer. The first list was about the Gospel, the second (I'm working on it now) is on sanctification, and the third will be deeper theological issues. Each question has to be answered in a minimum of one page. I often find it difficult to keep it to two!

Church: I really like Hayden Bible Fellowship! I know that God led me there, and I enjoy getting to know the people there. The studies are in depth, and often cover the exact questions I'm answering from my list! We've been reading through a book (outside of church) called "The Discipline of Grace" by Jerry Bridges. What and excellent book! I recomend it! I've also been playing the piano for them for the past few weeks. I really enjoy being able to serve in that way, and am glad for any opportunity to play the piano. I'm currently teaching piano to two girls from the church. It's a lot of fun and stretches me to make sure I know my stuff!

Other: I've been helping with a study through The Stranger On the Road to Emmaus book for the past few weeks. It's been at my boss's house and there have been 6 teens to come. This past week the sister of one of the teens came, too. She seems very eager to learn about God and the Bible. Several of them have had no contact with this before. Please pray that they will really understand and make the decision to believe in Jesus!
I've also been going to a local church once a month to help with a ministry for the public high school kids. The church offers the teens free pizza and corn dogs for their lunch two days in the first week of each month. When they come, there are cards on the tables with a spiritual question on them, and those who volunteer (like myself) try to talk to them about the question (or anything to do with spiritual things). This is such an incredible opportunity! This month we had over 700 kids come over. Some avoid conversation, but that is the minority. Surprisingly, most are willing to talk about things; sadly, most don't have a clue who God is or what the Bible is. Please pray for this ministry! We've been trying to get the teens interested in coming for a study of the Bible, but so far haven't had any interest. Pray for God's will, and His ideal approach!

The weather has been staying cold on average, and we've had bits of snow here and there. I'm definitely ready for spring!

"Live out in your lives the reality of the gospel. Take advantage of and put to use all the provisions of grace God has given you in Christ."-Jerry Bridges summary of Romans 6:11-13

No comments: