Friday, January 23, 2009

"That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way. "

And that's the way it's been for me all week. Actually, the past two weeks or so have been one exciting step of learning after another. The things that I'm discovering are old and familiar, but with a new depth of understanding. It's all so exciting! From the articles that will eventually be posted on the web somewhere, to the homework assignments given to me in my intern disciple program, God is teaching me more and more of who He is and how He works in the world and in my life. More and more questions have come up about what I believe and why I believe it. I know what I believe, but to understand how deep one can really dig to learn about God and His purposes, and yet never reach the end of discovery is really incredible! I can't begin to adequately put into words the hunger that I'm feeling more and more as I study. Each day I anticipate what God will be teaching me. The thing is, I could go through each assignment and article with the information I already have, and be "ok", but I want to take what I already know to be true and know WHY I know it to be true. Not just, "Well, because the Bible says so," but, "What does the Bible say? Where is it said? How often is it said? What does it mean? What does it have to do with me?" Basically, I'm taking everything back to the beginning and trying to understand the entire process. God is so patient and faithful in showing me Himself in ways that I'd heard of all my life, but never experienced for myself through His teaching! Today I was looking at a Psalm that David wrote and wholeheartedly agreeing, "I have asked one thing from the Lord; it is what I desire: to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, gazing on the beauty of the Lord and seeking Him in His temple." (Ps. 27:4) If only Christians everywhere would really seek God, they would see His beauty and goodness and desire to make their lives a quest for Him! I know that I'll have days when I'm discouraged and it seems like God is far from me, but He provides these times when I can get to know Him even better so that when those times come, I know that I can trust His heart, because I understand it better. What a great lifelong journey! Join me?

No comments: